The following guidelines will help to keep those who live in gated communities safe:
- Entrance ways and exit ways shall be a minimum of 20 feet unobstructed width.
- However, when separated by medians, post or other obstructions, each entrance and exit lane shall be provided with a minimum unobstructed width of 10 feet.
- Approved lock boxes containing access cards, keys, pass codes and operating instructions shall be provided at each entrance gate.
- Each entrance gate shall be provided with an "override" feature to allow the gate to remain open so that multiple fire apparatus can enter without having to wait for intermittent opening of the gate.
- Each entrance gate shall be equipped with a manual override feature so as to permit opening during power failures.