Keep yourself safe from wild land fires by adopting the following pieces of advice.
- Find out if your area is prone to wild land fire.
- Make ABC fire extinguishers accessible on every floor (call Fire Department for training).
- Develop cooperative plan with neighbors.
- Make sure address is clearly visible so fire trucks can reach your home.
- Use fire resistant/retardant materials.
- Clear vegetation/branches within 100 feet of building.
- Listen to designated radio/ television, Emergency Alert System for emergency information/instructions.
- Park car in an open space facing evacuation route; have keys accessible.
- Shut the windows and doors in your home.
- Wear long sleeves, pants, wet handkerchief for face.
- Close vents, door, seal attic, ground vents with plywood.
- Shut off gas at main; turn off pilot lights and propane tanks.
- Open fireplace damper; close fireplace screens.
- Move flammable furniture to center of home.
- Wet shrubs within 15 feet of home.
- If leaving, tell someone where you are going.