Board of Adjustment
The purpose of the Board of Adjustment is to consider particular kinds of development issues that require special use permits or variances from the Town’s Unified Development Ordinance.
The Board of Adjustment meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6:00pm in the Council Chamber of Town Hall located at 73 Hunter Street in Apex.
Public comment is allowed during the public hearing portion of the meetings. The Chairperson will ask for and permit interested parties, both for and against public hearing proposals to address the Board at the appropriate times. At the discretion of the Chairperson, limited public comment may be permitted during the remainder of the meeting.
The following provides an explanation of the issues, standards, and procedures for quasi-judicial public hearings on Variances and Special Use Permits:
- Outline of Quasi-Judicial Procedure for Variances
- Outline of Quasi-judicial Procedure for Special Use Permits
Town staff cannot provide legal advice to any citizen regarding a particular quasi-judicial hearing. If you have questions, you should consult the services of an attorney.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about upcoming agendas.
Members & Terms
The Board of Adjustment consists of 5 regular members and 3 alternates who are citizens appointed by, and serving as a board to, the Apex Town Council on planning, zoning, and subdivision issues.
Current members are:
- Robert Carmac, ETJ Representative, Chair (Jan 1, 2022 - Dec 31, 2024)
- Bryan Johnson, Vice-Chair (Jan 1, 2021 - Dec 31, 2023)
- Ross Stocks
- Tracy Taylor
- Umesh Pai
- William “Shelby” Lusk, 1st Alternate Member (May 25, 2021 - Dec 31, 2023)
- Michael Sayers, 2nd Alternate Member (Feb 28, 2023 - Feb 28, 2026)
- William Hollenbeck, 3rd Alternate Member (Mar 28, 2023 - Feb 28, 2026)
Interested in serving? Complete an application! You will be contacted when a vacancy occurs.
Rules of Procedure
The Board of Adjustment operates according to its Rules of Procedure.
If you need additional information, you may contact the Apex Planning Department by calling (919) 249-3426.