Wet weather conditions this winter have impacted the opportunity for site work at the park and but construction is progressing, to the greatest extent possible, as the weather allows. Site grading for all the fields, courts, road, parking areas, building pad areas and installations of storm ponds, storm drains, as well as, water and sewer lines are ongoing. The latest schedule has portions of the facility being available for use in the fall of 2021.
As part of the ongoing budget process, staff is preparing the necessary budget to allow us to program and staff the facility when it opens. The turf multi-purpose fields, athletic field lighting and fencing were bid and contracts awarded. The remaining site components are either set to be ordered per the schedule for need, or will be included in a bid package of numerous trades and services which is set to be open in late Spring 2021. The final site plans include:
- 6 multi-purpose fields and signature fieldhouse with staff offices, meeting space, concession area, restrooms and classrooms
- 4 baseball/ softball fields, batting cages and warm up areas, fieldhouse with staff office, meeting space, concession area, and restrooms
- 4 tennis courts, 6 pickleball courts, and 2 basketball courts
- SPLASHLANTIS water play
- 1.5 acre Enchanted Forest with numerous inclusive play villages (Kingdom in the Clouds, Reverie, Gnome’s Hollow, Melody Madness, Discovery Dig, Sticks & Stones, Trollway Bridge, & Splashlantis)
- 3 Picnic Shelters with restrooms
- Grand Lawn open play area
- Cross Country Course
- Maintenance Operation Building with equipment yard
- Maintenance Storage Building
- Team gathering areas for large events
- Food truck Alley
With all of the amenities listed above on 92 acres of property, openings and programming of facilities will be on a rolling basis after the initial opening in the Fall of 2021.
The currently approved site plan includes the following additional amenities: 3 pickle ball courts, 2 basketball courts, 4 lighted turf baseball/softball fields, a sand volleyball court, restroom and concession areas, a field house with locker rooms, 3 picnic shelters, a 5K cross country course, and an open play lawn. Once completed, the park will have a total of 3 Picnic Shelters with restrooms, multiple seating and gathering areas, open lawns, a food truck "alley" and paved lighted walkways for circulation and safety.
Estimated Project Cost: $37.17 million
- March 6, 2018 - Site Plan approved by Apex Town Council
- Contract for construction document development was awarded to Withers Ravenel, Construction Administration contract was awarded to J. M. Thompson.
- Fall 2019 / Winter 2020 - Construction Plan approval and Full Site Clearing and Grading to begin. Infrastructure / transportation improvements will be the first elements of construction including water, sewer, utilities, and improvements along Old US Highway 1, Pleasant Plains Road and King View Trail
Meeting the Needs:
Athletics Program Expansion: The Town’s athletic fields are scheduled to capacity resulting in waiting lists for most youth and many adult athletic programs. There is no ability to add new programs such as lacrosse or partner with local private sports programs or schools to provide field space. The fields built at Pleasant Park will allow for the expansion of softball, baseball, tennis, soccer, and lacrosse programs.
Tournament Hosting: Our residents travel all over the state to participate in youth athletic tournaments. Pleasant Park is envisioned as a tournament facility, allowing Apex athletes to stay and play.
PROGRAM WAITLIST % (Spring 2017)